In the same way that I finally realized that our house is really a cottage, I have owned up to fact that the fireplace mantel is merely a ledge. As much as I might want to deck it out in every direction, its territory is pretty limited. No matter what I have tried in the past, I have to admit that I've never been fully satisfied.
| Photo from the film Howard's End |
One of my favorite looks is one found in the little drawing room of the Schlegel's London townhouse in the film Howard's End. Room for a clock, a few candles, the latest social invitations, and not much else. (Nowadays we use the fridge for invites!) But I love the whole house and each fleeting glimpse of its gorgeous rooms. It's the epitome of elegant small room living.
We have something far more rustic, but lately even have a small table for tea in front of the hearth. I have propped a few casual things here that I felt like looking at for a bit.
A magazine tear sheet in an empty vintage frame instead of engraved invitations. A sprig of this week's weeds.
My new mercury Pottery Barn candle pots for tea lights at each end. So romantic in the evening.
A fancy bottle with tattered books.
Plenty of room for tucking things in until I start all over again. . . . Or not.
(The view out of the window to the left of the fireplace.)
We've already had some cozy rainy day fires. Poking things around on the ledge and a lot of naps is about all I've been up to lately. My cold is the flu, but not too bad I'm sure. Thanks so much for all your good wishes. They are the best remedy!
I hope you're off to a fantastic week!
Jacqueline
Join me at

0 Yorumlar